Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Activity 1: Virtual courses

Analyze general aspects of a virtual course: Learning to learn
*****
If I were taking a subject like this one, in which you don't always have someone to rely on or ask for answers, I'd feel much more reassured if at least I knew that every task I'm doing on my own it's done for a purpose and which purpose is that. In my opinion, for a course in which the role of the teacher is (partially) transfered to the learner himself, students must have some knowledge on how they are or will be learning, in order to make them feel confident and keep them from ending up disappointed or simply dropping the subject.

On the one hand, the study plan for module 1 is well-structured as it gives the students as much as it can give them. It provides charts for them to check their progress and promises to teach them to use the virtual facilities that would be needed during their learning (I wish someone had explained to me how to use the Campus Virtual when I started this degree, actually).

On the other hand, I understand that for some of you It doesn't make sense the fact that deadlines are still there (even for an autonomous-learning-focused subject like this one) but a course of these characteristics is obviously limited by time. It might not be the ideal situation for an autonomous learner to be constrained by time but, aren't we, college students, all in that same position? I think this deals with the basis of our learning system, which are memorising as much as we can before the time's up and then take an exam that won't measure at all our efforts. I suppose deadlines are needed for evaluation, and evaluation is needed for... some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment